History of Tennessee Meiji Gakuin / Tennessee Military Institute
The campus was founded in 1874 as the Sweetwater Military College. The driving purpose of the school was to "provide a place where young men could have good educational advantages under safe and wholesome influences". In 1902 the school name was changed to the Tennessee Military Institute (TMI).
The school converted to coed in 1973 but that only lasted two years and the program to admit women was ceased in 1975.
In the fall of 1975 it was renamed TMI Academy and continued in that fashion for thirteen years, finally closing in 1988.
That same year, the property was purchased by a Japanese group which opened the first Japanese high school in the United States, now named Tennessee Meiji Gakuin. TMG closed in 2007.
The campus is currently unoccupied.
History Courtesy of: Charlotte Baker, Sweetwater Public Library and TMI Alumnus.